Jeffrey P. Leonard
"Each client representation is different, and the best resolution may not always be the most apparent. I strive to find the most effective and rewarding solution for each client through hard work and creative thinking."
~Jeffrey P. Leonard
Contact Jeffrey P. Leonard
Jeff is a partner with the firm. He is licensed in Alabama and Georgia and works out of the firm’s Birmingham and Atlanta offices. He handles various types of civil litigation throughout the country. Jeff graduated cum laude from Wake Forest University School of Law in 2001, where he served as Executive Editor of The Wake Forest Law Review and was selected to the Order of the Coif honor society. He graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1997 with a degree in Biomedical Engineering. Jeff previously lived in Atlanta, Georgia and practiced at King & Spalding and Nelson, Mullins, Riley & Scarborough, where he primarily represented large companies in civil litigation. Jeff returned to his hometown of Birmingham in 2009, joining Heninger Garrison Davis.
Jeff brings significant litigation and trial skills to the firm. His practice focuses on representing individuals and businesses in civil litigation, including contract and commercial disputes, wrongful death, catastrophic injury, medical malpractice, class actions, products liability, premises liability and trucking/vehicle collision cases. He is also experienced in pharmaceutical, medical device and environmental litigation. Jeff also handles Federal Tort Claim Act (FTCA) claims. He has litigated cases in state and federal courts, including multi-district litigation (MDL), throughout the United States, including Alabama, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. Jeff is also experienced with corporate bankruptcy, especially when used to avoid litigation or trial.
Jeff has participated in many jury trials, obtained jury verdicts as well as settlements during trial, and recovered millions of dollars for his corporate and individual clients.
Jeff is involved in the community in numerous ways. He serves on the Board of the University of Alabama Student Affairs Leadership Council. He also serves on the Advisory Board of Directors for the Shepherd Center Hospital, based in Atlanta, Georgia, which specializes in the medical treatment, research and rehabilitation of persons with spinal cord and brain injuries and multiple sclerosis. Jeff is also a dedicated supporter of the University of Alabama, Vanderbilt University and Children's Harbor of Alabama, which provides free counseling and support services to children with chronic illnesses and their families.
- Class Action & Mass Torts
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Injury & Business Litigation
- U.S. District Courts, Northern & Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. District Courts, Northern, Middle & Southern Districts of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 2001, cum laude)
- Executive Editor, Wake Forest Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Vanderbilt University (B.E. Biomedical Engineering 1997)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Alabama Association for Justice
Civic Memberships and Affiliations
- Board, University of Alabama Student Affairs Leadership Council, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Advisory Board of Directors, Shepherd Center Hospital, Atlanta, GA
Recent Publications and Presentations
Jeff speaks at numerous legal conferences and seminars, including conferences in Phoenix, Arizona for the American Bar Association on toxic tort and environmental law. He speaks regularly in Alabama on topics such as trial practice, voir dire, jury selection, bad faith insurance litigation and lien and subrogation issues.
- Jeff Leonard and Jim McDonough named as Partners
- Nine HGD attorneys selected to the 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers & Rising Stars List
- Jeff Leonard & Callen Sparrow Obtain $350,000 Verdict
- Jeff Leonard to serve on UA Student Affairs Leadership Council
- Jeffrey P. Leonard receives “AV” Peer Review Rating from Lexis Nexis® Martindale-Hubbell®
- Congratulations Jeff Leonard!
- Congratulations to Jeff Leonard and Erik Heninger!