According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, in 2018, only 1 in 25 high school seniors were using tobacco products. Thanks to continued efforts over the past two decades, underage nicotine use had finally reached an all-time low, and the epidemic of teens using tobacco products seemed to be coming to an end – that is until JUUL entered the picture.
What is JUUL, and why is it an epidemic among teens?
JUUL is a small size vaping device that looks like a computer flash drive and has a variety of appealing flavors. This product is advertised as a safe alternative to cigarettes, but the high levels of nicotine and other chemicals found in their pods are still very dangerous to teens.
The solution’s design creates and sustains nicotine addiction and uses another chemical to increase nicotine absorption. Teens mistakenly believe that using the JUUL device, also known as “JUULing,” is safe, and find its small size and ease of concealment an appealing form of rebellion.
Another reason this has become an epidemic is how JUUL’s marketing is targeting minors. Internal company documents from JUUL have revealed that they have deliberately focused marketing research efforts toward selling their products to kids.
Parents must learn the signs of e-cigarette use so that they can know when it is time to step in and talk to their children.
Signs your teen is “JUULing.”
Unfortunately, it is tough to detect the use of JUUL e-cigarettes because they don’t emit the same odor as cigarettes. However, there are signs you can look for so that you can know when it is time to talk to your teens about “JUULing.”
- Sweet smell: E-cigarette solutions come in a variety of flavors, so the odor they emit is equally varied. Most of the time, the scent is sweet, like fruit or candy.
- Bloodshot eyes
- Irritability: Nicotine withdrawal can cause moodiness or a jittery demeanor.
- Nosebleeds: Vaping dries out the skin inside of the nose, causing nosebleeds, especially in the winter.
- Frequent thirst: The chemicals in vaping liquids have been found to cause dehydration and increased thirst.
- Persistent cough: Vaping irritates the lungs and can make breathing difficult.
In addition to these signs, you might look for strange-looking devices that resemble large USB drives – JUUL’s signature design that makes it easy to conceal.
What you can do if JUUL has injured your child
The company has come under fire recently in the wake of three lawsuits alleging the devices have caused JUUL users to become addicted to nicotine. One of the JUUL lawsuits filed was by the parents of a 15-year-old boy who they claim is addicted to the vaping device and the nicotine it provides. Also, the Massachusetts Attorney General opened an investigation into JUUL to determine if the company is targeting minors with their products.
Heninger Garrison Davis is currently looking for people who vape who may have experienced any of the following:
- Addiction – with or without treatment.
- Any person, especially high school or college students, who have been diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis or pneumonia or eosinophilic pneumonia that required medical treatment including hospitalization. JUUL smokers can quickly develop significant pneumonia that may require ICU care, including mechanical ventilation.
- Any person who has developed COPD or advanced asthma after using JUUL products.
- Any person that has a heart attack (myocardial infarction) after using JUUL products.
Even if you are not ready to file a suit, you may still consult with one of our qualified lawyers for free to learn your options — Call 1-800-222-9657 for a free claim evaluation. A member of our staff will reach out to you to discuss your options. You may be entitled to monetary compensation.
Partner with Heninger Garrison Davis to File a Claim Against JUUL
Heninger Garrison Davis is Alabama’s most prolific civil litigation law firm based in Birmingham, AL. We focus on personal injury, business litigation, mass tort, and class action cases. We possess the sophisticated legal skills, financial resources, and multi-layered support needed to take on the world’s most powerful corporations. Our team works hard to cut through the complexity, get to the heart of the problem, and win what matters the most.