The Alabama Supreme Court ruled in that case that HGD’s client could seek compensation for his injury from the makers of a brand-name drug, even though the client had taken only the generic version of the medicine. The win was the first state supreme court decision of its kind in the country, and a useful summary of it appears in the Alabama Law Weekly, Vol. 23, No. 34, August 22, 2014. Chris and HGD partner Lew Garrison represented the injured patient.
Chris, along with Lew Garrison and other HGD attorneys, represents corn farmers in the first CAFA mass action in the country involving genetically modified corn seeds. The case is Poletti v. Syngenta, and it is pending in federal court in Illinois.
Before earning his law degree, Chris wrote features on politics and general interest for The Charlotte Observer, The Birmingham News, Winston Salem Journal, Spectator Magazine, and other publications. In law school, he authored “Metaphors of Shareholder Liability Under CERCLA” in the Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation, published by the University of Oregon School of Law. Chris was recently voted to “Best in the Bar 2020” by Birmingham Business Journal.
- Alabama, 2008
- Supreme Court of Alabama, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2019
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1995
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 1990, with distinction and honors)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- Burroughs Wellcome Opportunity Scholarship, 1989-90
Professional memberships and affiliations
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
Recent publications and presentations
- Author, Metaphors of Shareholder Liability Under CERCLA, Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation, Vol. 10 (1995), Univ. of Oregon School of Law.
- Presenter, Handling Complex Auto Insurance Coverage Disputes, CLE seminar, June, 2009 – Birmingham, Alabama.
- Presenter, HarrisMartin’s CLE Summit on Major Developments in Drug & Medical Device Litigation, June, 2014 – New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Presenter, “Growing Your Case: Practice Pointers to Increase Value and Clients,” CLE seminar for BBA Solo/Small Firm Section, October, 2019