3621 Vinings Slope, Suite 4320
Atlanta, GA 30339-3372
Phone: (205) 346-0062
Fax: (205) 326-3332
In law school, Jim received several national awards for his now heavily cited publication, “The Myth of the Patent Troll: An Alternative View of the Function of Patent Dealers in an Idea Economy,” and was Managing Editor of The Emory Law Journal.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim was an attorney with The McDonough Law Group, where he focused on plaintiff-side litigation, and before that, with Fish & Richardson where his practice was defense oriented. Before becoming an attorney, Jim was the Director of Business Development for a company that developed and integrated electronic document management software for manufacturing and healthcare systems. Previous to that role, he was a Senior Systems Engineer for a large clinical software company.
- Georgia, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals For The Federal Circuit, 2013
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2014
- Georgia Supreme Court, 2014
- Emory University School of Law (J.D., 2007).
- Managing Editor, Emory Law Journal
- National Award: Burton Award for Legal Achievement (presented in Library of Congress, Washington, DC)
- National Award: Judge John R. Brown Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
- Mary Chi Davis Award, Best Emory Law Journal Comment
- Georgia Institute of Technology (TI:GER Graduate) (2007)
- University of Rhode Island (B.S., B.A., 1999)
Professional memberships and affiliations
- Atlanta Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Technology Law Section
Recent publications and presentations
- Featured Speaker: Intellectual Property Leakage: Unauthorized Commercialization, Association of University Technology Managers, Central Region Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky, 2011.
- Managing Patent Litigation Costs, Patent Litigation 2009, Vol I, 307, ISBN 978-1-4024-1273-8, Practising Law Institute 2009.
- What Business Owners Should Know About Patenting, Wall Street Journal Interview, published August 11, 2008.
- Surviving MedImmune: Strategies for Licensors in the Aftermath of MedImmune, State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property Law Section Newsletter, February 2008.
- The Myth of the Patent Troll: An Alternative View of the Function of Patent Dealers in an Idea Economy, 56 Emory Law Journal 189 (2006); reprinted in Patent Trolls: Legal Implications, ICFAI Journal of Intellectual Property Rights.