Christopher B. Hood
"Winning the claim of my client is my top priority."
~Christopher B. Hood
Contact Christopher B. Hood
Chris Hood graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with distinction and honors. He obtained his law degree from Georgetown University and practices primarily in cases of personal injury or death caused by dangerous prescription medicines and medical devices. He also helps defend appeals in many of our firm's major cases, most recently in Target Media Partners Operating Company, LLC v. Specialty Marketing Corporation (affirming multi-million dollar verdict for plaintiffs), reported at 23 ALW 36-1 (No. 1091758) on August 29, 2014.
His most recent notable pharmaceutical case was reported in the NY Times on January 9, 2013 ("Man Taking Generic Drug Can Sue Branded Maker"). Chris and HGD partner Lew Garrison represent the injured patient in the case, which involves the generic drug metoclopramide. In it, the Alabama Supreme Court decided that the patient could seek compensation for his injury from the makers of the brand-name drug (Reglan). It is the first decision of its kind in the country. A useful summary of the decision appears in the Alabama Law Weekly, Vol. 23, No. 34, August 22, 2014.
Before earning his law degree, Chris wrote features on politics and general interest for The Charlotte Observer, The Birmingham News, Winston Salem Journal, Spectator Magazine, and other publications. In law school, he authored “Metaphors of Shareholder Liability Under CERCLA” in the Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation, published by the University of Oregon School of Law.
- Class Action & Mass Torts
- Personal Injury & Business Litigation
- Alabama, 2008
- Supreme Court of Alabama, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama, 2011
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1995
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 1990, with distinction and honors)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- Burroughs Wellcome Opportunity Scholarship, 1989-90
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Author, Metaphors of Shareholder Liability Under CERCLA, Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation, Vol. 10 (1995), Univ. of Oregon School of Law.
- Presenter, Handling Complex Auto Insurance Coverage Disputes, CLE seminar, June, 2009 - Birmingham, Alabama.
- Presenter, HarrisMartin's CLE Summit on Major Developments in Drug & Medical Device Litigation, June, 2014 - New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Weeks v. Wyeth case featured in Trial Magazine
- HGD case featured in the Bloomberg BNA Product Safety & Liability Reporter
- THE TRUTH ABOUT WEEKS v. WYETH: It’s not “Innovator Liability”
- HGD Clients Get Their Day in Court Against Branded Drug Companies, an Important Win for Patients
- Behind the Landmark Weeks Case
- HGD Courtroom Victory Covered by the New York Times