J. Callen Sparrow
Callen Sparrow was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama, and has practiced in Alabama his entire career. Callen attended Hampden-Sydney College where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English, and he then attended Cumberland School of Law. He has been licensed to practice law in Alabama since 1983. Before becoming a plaintiff’s lawyer, he began his legal career in the Attorney General’s office as an Assistant Attorney General in Montgomery, Alabama.
In 1986, Callen returned to Birmingham and began representing individuals in personal injury cases. He has maintained a plaintiff’s practice for over 30 years. He has handled cases in virtually every county in Alabama and has tried cases to juries in over 30 of those counties. He has also argued cases to Alabama’s appellate courts and has tried cases in all of the federal district courts in the state.
Callen has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America, Birmingham Magazine – “Top Attorneys,” and is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell. He is a member of the Alabama Association for Justice and has served on its Board of Governors. He is also a member of the American Association for Justice, the American Bar Association, the Alabama State Bar, and the Birmingham Bar Association.
He and his wife, Caroline, enjoy family time with their two daughters.
- Alabama, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Cumberland School of Law of Samford University (J.D., 1983)
- Hampden Sydney College (B.A., 1980)
Professional memberships and affiliations
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Member, Executive Committee
- Young Lawyers Section, 1990-1993
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Governors, 1988-2001
- American Association for Justice
- Target Media Partners Operating Co., LLC v. Specialty Mktg. Corp., 177 So. 3d 843 (Ala.2013).
- Ex parte Nail, 111 So. #d 125 (Ala. 2012).
- Montgomery v. United States, 2008 U.S. List., LEXIS 48232 (ALA. 2008) WL 2559398.
- Ex parte Norwood Hodges Motor Co., 680 So. 2d 245 (Ala. 1996).
- McAbee v. Richey, 585 So. 2d 788 (Ala. 1991).
- Hood v. Murray, 547 So. 2d 75 (Ala. 1989).
Recent publications and presentations
- “Litigating Alabama Slip and Fall Claims: Avoiding Legal Missteps,” M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC, June 2014.
- “Voir Dire: Tips and Techniques for Starting the Trial on the Right Path,” M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC, March 2014.
- “Handling Medical Negligence Slaims,” National Business Institute, Birmingham, AL, June 2008.
- “The Federal Tort Claim Act: A Primer,” Birmingham Bar Association, Birmingham, AL, Sept. 2008.
- “How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Alabama,” National Business Institute, Birmingham, AL, June, 2005.
- “Trying the Wrongful Death Case in Alabama: Strategies in Preparation and Valuation,” National business Institute, Birmingham, AL, June 2002.
- “Trying the Automobile Injury Case in Alabama,” National Business Institute, Birmingham, AL, 2001.