Rideshare companies like Lyft and Uber provide convenient rides to thousands of people, allowing gig-economy workers to earn money on their own schedules. However, that doesn’t mean that Uber drivers can’t cause accidents like any other motorist.
In fact, rideshare drivers can cause collisions that lead to serious injuries and, in some cases, life-threatening conditions. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash caused by an Uber driver, you’ll need an experienced lawyer from Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, to pursue compensation for your medical bills and other accident-related expenses.
An Uber accident attorney from our firm can guide you through the claims process and work hard to obtain the financial remedies you’re owed.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for My Medical Bills and Other Losses?
If you’ve been hurt in an accident caused by an Uber driver, you’re probably wondering if the driver or the rideshare company will be held responsible for your losses. Answering this question is tricky because Uber drivers are technically contracted workers, which means Uber’s insurance policy doesn’t always cover their accidents.
Let’s take a closer look at several Uber accident scenarios to give you an idea of who might cover your losses after a collision:
- The driver wasn’t logged into the app: If the rideshare driver wasn’t logged into the Uber app when your accident occurred, you won’t be able to seek compensatory damages from Uber’s insurance policy. Instead, you’ll have to file a claim with the driver’s personal auto accident coverage.
- The driver was waiting for a ride request: If the driver was logged into the app and waiting for a ride request when the collision happened, you’ll be able to pursue compensation from Uber’s policy.
- The driver was on the way to pick up a passenger: If the driver was on their way to pick up a passenger, an Uber accident lawyer can help you file a claim with Uber’s policy. In this scenario, there will be a policy limit of $1 million.
- The driver was transporting a passenger: If the driver was transporting a customer when the collision occurred, you’ll also be able to file a claim for up to $1 million from Uber’s insurance policy.
Determining who should be held liable for your injuries and expenses can be difficult. Fortunately, our Uber accident attorneys are here to help you file a claim with the correct insurer. They’ll investigate your collision, figure out what the driver’s status was at the time of the crash, and do everything they can to recover a fair settlement from the correct insurer.
For a free legal consultation, call us today (205) 326-3336
Damages You Could Receive from an Uber Accident Claim
Uber accidents are just like regular auto collisions in that they can result in a number of different financial losses and non-monetary challenges. To make sure you get all the damages you need to cover your bills and deal with the other impacts of the crash, our Uber accident lawyers will meet with you to discuss the ways that the collision has affected your life.
They’ll identify all the struggles and financial losses you’ve suffered and calculate how much money you need to get back on your feet. Then, they’ll file an Uber injury claim and negotiate with insurers to reach a settlement that covers all of the following losses:
- Medical expenses
- Future treatment costs
- Ambulance and hospital costs
- Cost of physical therapy and assistive devices
- Vehicle repair costs
- Lost wages
- Decreased learning ability due to a long-term injury
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
What You Should Do After an Uber Accident
If you’ve been injured in an auto collision caused by an Uber driver, there are a few actions you’ll want to take immediately after the accident. First, you’ll want to prioritize your health and determine if you need immediate medical attention. If your injuries are severe, call an ambulance and get the treatment you need.
If your injuries are mild, you can seek medical attention after you’ve completed the following steps:
- Take down the driver’s name and personal insurance information
- Take photos of the accident scene and vehicles involved in the crash
- Take photos of your injuries
- Speak to eyewitnesses and take down their contact information
- Keep a written record of the pain and emotional distress you experience after the crash
Get in Touch With an Attorney As Soon as You Can
Once you’ve completed the steps listed above, it’s important that you reach out to an attorney who can take on your Uber accident case. You won’t want to delay your case, as Alabama has a statute of limitations that may apply to you.
Under Alabama Code § 6.2.38, you have two years from the day of your Uber accident to hire a lawyer and file a civil suit. If your lawsuit is filed after the two-year due date, you could go uncompensated for the pain, emotional suffering, and monetary losses you’ve been burdened with.
Don’t jeopardize your claim and your access to fair compensation. Instead, reach out to an attorney from Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, today. Every attorney on our team is closely familiar with the state’s filing deadline and can make sure your suit is filed quickly.
Meet With an Experienced Uber Accident Lawyer for Free
At Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, we don’t believe in charging potential clients to meet with an attorney and discuss their cases. That’s why we offer free, no-obligation consultations to all auto accident victims interested in working with our award-winning legal team.
To get the effective representation and valuable legal advice you need, contact our firm today and schedule a meeting with an Uber accident attorney. They’ll ask you about your accident and the injuries and losses you’ve sustained. If they find that you have grounds for a claim or civil suit, they’ll work tirelessly to get the compensation you deserve.