Catastrophic injuries can impact your life in several ways, and many different parties could be responsible for your pain. If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury, a personal injury lawyer in Montgomery, AL, at Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, can help you recover the compensation you need.
We can help you gather evidence to show the parties’ liability and hold them accountable. We offer free consultations where we can tell you what damages you could be eligible for.
What Counts as a Catastrophic Injury?
When it comes to catastrophic injuries, they are the type of injuries that have a significant and often life-altering impact on your life. These injuries bring about severe physical, emotional, and financial consequences that can be long-lasting. They can dramatically affect your quality of life and require extensive medical treatment and ongoing care. Let’s take a look at what types of injuries are typically classified as catastrophic:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): If you experience a severe brain injury due to a blow, jolt, or penetrating head injury, it can be categorized as catastrophic. These injuries often result in cognitive impairments, memory loss, motor function issues, and significant changes in behavior and personality.
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI): Damage to your spinal cord can lead to partial or complete paralysis, impacting your ability to move and control bodily functions. SCI often necessitates lifelong medical care, extensive rehabilitation, and adaptive equipment to support your daily living.
- Amputations: The loss of a limb, whether due to a traumatic accident or a medical necessity, can profoundly affect your life. Amputations significantly impact your mobility, independence, and ability to perform daily tasks, often requiring prosthetics and rehabilitation.
- Severe burns: Extensive and deep burns can cause permanent disfigurement, impairments, and significant physical and emotional trauma. These injuries often necessitate multiple surgeries, skin grafts, and long-term medical care.
- Multiple fractures: If you have multiple fractures due to an accident, particularly in weight-bearing bones or major joints, it can lead to long-term limitations in mobility and chronic pain. Severe fractures may require surgical intervention and extensive rehabilitation.
- Organ damage: Injuries resulting in significant impairment of vital organs, such as the heart, lungs, liver, or kidneys, can be classified as catastrophic. These injuries often require organ transplants or ongoing medical treatment to manage resulting complications.
For a free legal consultation with a catastrophic injury lawyer serving Montgomery, call us today (205) 326-3336
What Accidents Can Cause You to Suffer a Catastrophic Injury in Montgomery?
With catastrophic injuries several types of accidents can cause them because any accident that’s severe enough can alter your life. Here are the different types of accidents in that you can suffer catastrophic injuries:
- Truck accidents
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Defective product injury
- Medical device injury
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
Our team has over 16 years of experience handling all the abovementioned accidents. If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury, our Montgomery catastrophic injury lawyers can help you build a strong case in your first meeting with us.
How do You Recover Compensation for a Catastrophic Injury?
Before you’re eligible to recover compensation, you have to take a few steps. Here are the necessary steps:
To recover compensation, you must first identify the liable parties that caused your injuries. To do so, you need to prove the four elements of negligence. These elements are:
- Duty of care: Everyone is responsible for avoiding harming others to some degree. You must show that the liable party was supposed to act responsibly.
- Breach of duty: You must show that the liable party broke their duty of care by acting or failing to act correctly in the situation.
- Causation: With evidence, you must prove that their actions or lack of actions cause your catastrophic injuries.
- Damages: The final element of negligence you must prove is that your injuries have resulted in financial and non-financial damages.
Our Montgomery catastrophic injury lawyer at Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, can help determine if all four elements are present in your case.
File a Personal Injury Claim Against the Negligent Parties
After identifying the liable parties, you can file a personal injury claim against each party. In Alabama, according to Code of Alabama § 6-2-38, you only have two years from your injury date to file your claim. We can help you gather the evidence you need to prove their negligence and file on time.
Filing your claim on time is one of the most important aspects of your catastrophic injury case. The sooner you file your claim, the more likely you can recover the maximum compensation and win your case. But you won’t be eligible for compensation if you don’t file in time.
Damages You Could Be Eligible to Recover After Your Catastrophic Injury
You can recover economic and non-economic damages after another person’s negligence causes a catastrophic injury. Our Montgomery catastrophic injury attorneys can help you recover the following damages:
- Medical expenses: Suffering a catastrophic injury can mean long-term medical care, which can be expensive. We can help you recover the costs of your medical bills.
- Lost wages: We can help you recover the paycheck you would be making if you weren’t injured.
- Decreased earning capacity: Catastrophic injuries can change your life so much that you may not be able to put your previous skills to work. This could result in the inability to continue working at your current workplace.
- Pain and suffering: You can recover compensation for the pain you’ve dealt with due to your catastrophic injuries.
- Emotional distress: Being injured and unable to do your usual routine can be frustrating and drain your mental health. We can help you recover compensation for this.
- Wrongful death: If you’ve lost a loved one to a catastrophic injury, we can help you recover punitive damages.
- Traumatic brain injury damages: If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury such as a traumatic brain injury, you can recover damages for your losses.
- Spinal cord injury damages: If you sustained a spinal cord injury, we can help you recover the costs you’ve lost to treat your injury.
Our firm can represent you after you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury and stand up for your rights.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us After You’ve Suffered a Catastrophic Injury in Montgomery, AL
At Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, our Montgomery catastrophic injury attorneys can help you identify the liable parties and hold them accountable. We’re ready to fight hard for the compensation you qualify for.
Contact us today for a free in-person or video consultation.