Selma Rideshare Accident Lawyer
Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft offer convenience and affordability here in Selma and across the country; however, liability issues often arise after a collision. Like any car accident, a rideshare collision can leave you with serious injuries and financial burdens. That’s where an experienced Selma car accident lawyer comes in.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a rideshare driver, a Selma car accident lawyer from Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, can help you understand your rights, navigate the complex legal process, and fight for financial compensation on your behalf. Don’t let the aftermath of a rideshare accident leave you feeling helpless.
Contact our law offices today to protect your rights and get the justice you deserve.
Liable Parties in a Rideshare Accident
It is important to understand the parties that may be involved in your claim before you start figuring out who is actually at fault for the accident.
We see cases where liable parties include one or more of the following:
- The rideshare driver
- Another motorist involved in the collision
- A mechanic or repair shop
- Vehicle or parts manufacturer
- A government entity, if the crash resulted from inadequate signage or poorly maintained roads
- The rideshare company itself
An attorney from our firm will thoroughly investigate the incident, gathering available evidence such as the police report, surveillance footage, and witness statements.
Insurance Coverage for Rideshare Incidents
If a rideshare driver caused your accident, the insurance policy that applies depends on the circumstances of the collision. One key factor is whether the driver was logged into the rideshare app and whether they had a passenger in the car or were driving to pick someone up.
Typically, the insurance company’s obligation is determined by whether the driver was:
- Transporting or picking up at least one passenger: Uber and Lyft have $1 million in liability and $1 million in uninsured motorist coverage when drivers are actively handling passenger requests.
- Logged into the app without passenger requests: The rideshare service may cover damages exceeding the driver’s personal insurance limit. For example, Uber’s insurance provides $50,000 per person and $50,000 per incident in these situations.
- Not logged in: The rideshare driver’s personal liability insurance limits apply.
Understanding these distinctions is important, whether you were injured as a rideshare passenger or were inside another vehicle at the time of the crash.
Don’t make the mistake of assuming that because the rideshare company has $1 million in liability coverage (Uber and Lyft both do), they’ll be willing to pay out on your claim. These companies often dispute liability based on the fact that their drivers are independent contractors.
Recoverable Damages in a Selma Rideshare Accident Claim
After a rideshare accident, you may be able to seek compensation for various damages resulting from the collision. We understand the complexities of rideshare accident cases and will work diligently to build a strong case for compensation.
When pursuing a rideshare accident claim, recoverable damages may include the following:
- Medical expenses: In the aftermath of a rideshare accident, you may face a growing stack of medical bills. Recoverable medical costs can encompass emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgeries, doctor’s appointments, prescription medications, rehabilitation, and any other necessary medical treatments related to your injuries.
- Vehicle repair costs and other property damage: You can pursue the repair or replacement cost if your vehicle was damaged in the collision. Additionally, if personal belongings such as electronic devices or valuables are lost or destroyed in the accident, you may seek damages for their replacement.
- Lost wages: If your injuries prevent you from working, you may suffer from a loss of income. You have the right to pursue compensation for the wages you would have earned had the accident not occurred.
- Decreased earning capacity: If the rideshare accident results in long-term or permanent injuries that hinder your ability to earn the same income as before, you may qualify for compensation for this reduction in potential future earnings. This is often the case with brain or spinal cord injuries.
- Pain and suffering: Motor vehicle accidents can result in severe physical pain, leading to a diminished quality of life. You may be eligible to seek compensation for the pain and suffering caused by the accident and its consequences.
- Emotional trauma: You may also experience emotional trauma, leaving you with anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Our skilled attorneys will consider the psychological impact of the accident on your mental well-being and pursue compensation for this distress.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases where the at-fault party’s actions were intentional or egregious, punitive damages may be awarded in addition to compensatory damages. Punitive damages serve as a deterrent and can be sought to hold the responsible party accountable for their misconduct.
At Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, our dedicated personal injury team will assess the full extent of your damages and fight to secure fair compensation for all you’ve endured. Our skilled attorneys are here to guide you through the legal process and advocate for your rights while you focus on healing and moving forward.
Contact a Qualified Ridesharing Accident Attorney in Selma, AL
Just because insurance policies are supposed to cover an accident doesn’t mean they will. As a business, their goal is to protect their bottom line by avoiding payouts. Insurers may try to minimize your damages or deny your claim outright. Working with an experienced Selma rideshare accident attorney is vital in these situations.
Our lawyers at Heninger Garrison Davis, LLC, will thoroughly investigate the collision, gather evidence, and pursue the maximum compensation available, whether through a personal injury claim or lawsuit. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.