Selma Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer
Our Selma, AL, nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers at Heninger Garrison Davis understand your concern for your loved ones residing in nursing homes. You want to feel that the safety and well-being of elderly family members is prioritized when they’re nursing home residents, so discovering any signs of abuse or neglect can be extremely distressing.
Our firm is here to provide compassionate and legal representation to hold negligent nursing homes and staff members accountable and seek justice for your loved ones. Our team of Selma, AL, personal injury attorneys works on contingency, so we can give you a free case evaluation to assess your case’s value. If you or a loved one suffered injuries from nursing home abuse, our team of Selma attorneys is ready to stand up for you.
Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse and neglect are all too prevalent, affecting vulnerable elderly individuals who should be receiving the utmost care and respect. These issues can manifest in various forms, including physical, emotional, or financial abuse and neglect of proper nutrition, medical attention, or personal hygiene.
Signs of abuse may not always be evident, making it important to be vigilant and seek legal assistance if you suspect any mistreatment or neglect of your loved ones. Some common signs of nursing home elder abuse and neglect you shouldn’t ignore include:
- Unexplained bruises, cuts, or welts
- Frequent falls or injuries
- Sudden changes in behavior or mood
- Fear or unease around specific staff members
- Withdrawal from social interactions
- Poor personal hygiene or unattended medical needs
- Weight loss or malnutrition
What Counts as Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse and neglect can encompass a wide range of harmful behaviors and inadequate care. These may include:
- Physical abuse: Infliction of pain, injury, or physical harm through violent actions, restraint misuse, or forceful handling.
- Emotional abuse: Verbal intimidation, threats, humiliation, or isolation, causing emotional distress to the elderly resident.
- Financial abuse: Mismanagement or theft of a resident’s finances or assets, taking advantage of their vulnerability.
- Neglect: Failure to provide appropriate medical care, nutrition, hygiene, or emotional support, leading to harm or deterioration of health.
Damages We Can Help You Recover After Nursing Home Abuse in Selma, AL
After you or a loved one suffers injuries or psychological trauma from nursing home abuse, you likely qualify for economic and non-economic damages after what you went through. Here are a few of the damages our Selma, AL, nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys can help you recover:
- Medical expenses: You may be entitled to seek compensation for the expenses you incurred to treat injuries resulting from the abuse or neglect. This includes hospitalization, surgeries, medication, therapy, and ongoing medical care needed to address the physical and emotional harm caused by the abuse.
- Lost wages: If the nursing home abuse leads to injuries severe enough to prevent you or a loved one from working, you may have a claim for lost wages. This includes the income you lost during recovery or the inability to return to work due to abuse-induced injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury damages: If you suffered a traumatic brain injury, we can help you recover damages for your losses. These may include long-term care and support, physical therapy, and mental health services.
- Decreased earning capacity: Nursing home abuse can result in long-term or permanent injuries that diminish your ability to earn a living as you did before the abuse. In such cases, decreased earning capacity damages aim to compensate for the potential loss of future income and career prospects.
- Pain and suffering: Nursing home abuse can inflict physical and emotional pain on you. Pain and suffering damages seek to compensate for the physical discomfort, mental anguish, and emotional distress, as well as the lasting impact on your quality of life.
- Emotional distress: Emotional distress damages are specifically focused on compensating for the psychological trauma due to nursing home abuse. This may include anxiety, depression, fear, and other emotional struggles resulting from the mistreatment.
- Wrongful death: Losing a loved one can be tremendously heartbreaking. You may be able to recover damages for unpaid medical bills, loss of companionship, loss of financial support, and loss of quality of life.
- Spinal cord injury damages: If you or your loved one suffered abuse that caused a spinal cord injury, our spinal cord injury attorneys in Selma, AL, can help you recover your losses. We can help you recover compensation for loss of independence, loss of enjoyment of life, and home modifications.
Why Choose Heninger Garrison Davis for Your Nursing Home Abuse Case
We know that there’s staunch competition in the personal injury legal industry. But we’re ready to prove our value and get you the nursing home abuse and neglect legal representation you need. Our firm stands out in the legal community for several reasons:
- Decades of experience: With a legacy dating back to 2006, our firm has served communities across Alabama for over a decade. Our extensive experience handling nursing home abuse cases equips us with the knowledge and experience to tackle even the most challenging claims.
- Compassionate and personalized approach: We understand the emotional toll nursing home abuse and neglect cases can take on families. Our team approaches each case with empathy, sensitivity, and the utmost respect for the victims and their families. We believe in maintaining open lines of communication, keeping you informed at every step of the legal process.
- Results-driven representation: Our firm has recovered significant compensation for our clients over the years, demonstrating our dedication to securing justice for those who have suffered due to nursing home negligence or abuse.
- Recognition and accreditation: Our attorneys have been recognized by prestigious legal organizations and have awards from Best Lawyers in America, Mid-South Super Lawyers, AV Preeminent Lawyers. Such accolades underscore our commitment to providing legal services to our clients.
Statute of Limitations for Nursing Home Abuse in Selma, AL
You need to act fast when you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect. The statute of limitations is a legal deadline that can significantly impact your ability to seek justice for your loved ones.
According to Ala. Code § 6-2-38, the statute of limitations for nursing home abuse and neglect cases is two years from the injury date or when the abuse was discovered or should have been discovered. This legal timeframe is in place to make sure that plaintiffs file claims promptly, allowing for a fair and efficient resolution of cases.
Failing to file a claim within this specified time frame can have severe consequences. You may lose your right to pursue legal action if you miss the statute of limitations deadline. The opportunity to seek compensation and hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions or negligence will be forever barred.
Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation Today
At Heninger Garrison Davis, we fight for the rights and well-being of elderly individuals who have suffered from nursing home abuse and neglect. Our Selma, AL, nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers are committed to recovering the compensation you and your family need.
If you believe you or your elderly family member may be a nursing home abuse or neglect victim, do not hesitate to contact us for a free consultation.