Car accidents are one of the leading causes of personal injuries in Alabama. Several different Alabama organizations keep track of how, where, and when car accidents happen. By understanding car accident statistics, we can avoid common risk factors that cause serious car accidents. However, even the safest Alabama drivers can become victims of car accidents caused by unsafe, negligent drivers.
If You Have Suffered an Injury in an Alabama Car Accident, We can Help
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious car accident in Alabama, you may be entitled to damages. When a negligent driver caused the car accident that resulted in your injuries, the driver has a legal duty to compensate you for your financial and emotional losses. Contact the Alabama car accident lawyers at Heninger Garrison Davis today to schedule your initial consultation and learn how our law firm can fight for you.
For a free legal consultation, call us today (205) 326-3336
The Latests Car Accident Statistics in Alabama
In Alabama and across the country, motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of death. Unintentional motor vehicle injuries are the third most common cause of death in the United States. Car accidents are the most common cause of unintentional injuries. For teenagers, car accidents are the leading cause of death.
Every year, the University of Alabama publishes a Crash Facts Book (CFB). The CFB provides invaluable data regarding Alabama car accident statistics. The most recent Crash Facts Book offers statistics from 2018. One of the most important takeaways from the 2018 crash facts statistics revealed that nearly 60% of individuals who died in car accidents were not wearing seatbelts.
Car Accident Fatalities in Alabama
Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are a common cause of fatalities in Alabama. Based on data collected in 2018, we can understand the common causes of car accident deaths, such as:
- In 2018, 953 people died from motor vehicle accidents in a total of 872 fatal accidents
- Someone dies in a car accident in Alabama once every 9 hours and 10 minutes
- Nearly 56% of people who died in Alabama car accidents were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash
- Most fatal car accidents, approximately 60%, occur in rural areas
- 9% of fatal car accidents in Alabama are caused by teenage drivers age 19 and younger
- 20% of motor vehicle accidents were caused by drivers age 25 and younger
- For every motor vehicle fatality, there are nearly 50 injuries
- Nearly 50% of fatal car accidents happen at night, or during dusk and dawn
- 106 Alabama pedestrians died from car accidents
- 83 motor vehicle fatalities involved moped or motorcycle riders
- 9 bicyclists suffered fatalities
- Alabama trains accounted for 12 fatalities
- Front seat vehicle passengers who are not wearing a seatbelt are 50 times more likely to be killed than those who are wearing a seatbelt
Alabama Car Accident Injury Statistics for 2018
- Over 10,000 people suffered injuries from car accidents in Alabama
- Every 3 minutes and 17 seconds, a car accident takes place in Alabama
- Every 11 minutes and 5 seconds, someone becomes injured in Alabama in a car accident
- Most Alabama motor vehicle accidents happen in urban areas
- Between 2917 and 2018, car accident injuries increased by 31.72%
- Economic losses from car accidents increased by 56.13% in Alabama
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Alabama
Under Alabama law, a wrongful death is any death caused by the “wrongful act, omission, or negligence” of another person. When a negligent driver caused the car accident that resulted in your loved one’s death, you may be entitled to compensation. In a wrongful death lawsuit, the estate of a deceased individual can bring a personal injury claim on his or her behalf, as if he or she had lived.
Wrongful death lawsuits are civil lawsuits even if the negligent driver is also facing criminal charges related to the car accident. Only the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate can file a wrongful death lawsuit. The estate will receive any damages brought about by the wrongful death lawsuit. Successful wrongful death lawsuits result in damages for funeral expenses, medical bills, other economic losses resulting from the victim’s death, and damages for pain and suffering.
Contact Our Alabama Car Accident Lawyers
If you have suffered an injury in an Alabama car accident, or you have lost a loved one in a car accident, our law firm can help. Contact our personal injury law firm as soon as possible to schedule your initial consultation.